10 Secrets to Growing the Best Tomatoes
Tomatoes are definitely number-one when it comes to home gardening. We use them in many types of foods, so it’s beneficial to always have them around in your garden.
Another great thing about tomatoes is that they’re quite easy to grow, so even beginners will have a wonderful time growing them at home! To assist you in growing high-quality garden tomatoes, go ahead and observe these 10 growing secrets below. They will help you raise the best-looking and best-tasting tomatoes you’ve ever seen! Give it a try now and you’ll see what I mean.
Got some tomato growing tips to share? Let us know by leaving a comment below! We also encourage you to SHARE THIS POST on your Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest accounts to help our fellow gardeners.
Top 10 Tips for Growing Tomatoes
1. Plant where they will get at least 10 hours of direct sunlight.
2. Leave enough space between each plant to allow for air to circulate.
3. Soak your tomatoes at their base once a week—more during the hottest days of summer. Do not spray the plant; water directly on the soil at the base of the plant.
4. Pinch and remove suckers that develop in the crotch joint of two branches.
5. Once your tomato plants reach about 3 feet tall, remove the leaves from the bottom—about one foot of the stem.
6. Use sturdy cages or stakes and secure the stem to the pole with a loose cloth or wire for every 8 inches or so.
7. Once your tomatoes start to ripen, add a bit of compost around the base of the plant and scratch it into the soil.
8. Pinching off the tips of the main stems of intermediate varieties in the early summer will encourage them to start putting their energy into flowering.
9. Check plants regularly for tomato hornworms (large, green-and-white-striped caterpillars). Pick them off and destroy them when you see them.
10. Pick your tomatoes when they are fully-sized and ripe, but still firm.
Article Source: A Healthy Life for Me